Shortened Life Expectancy
Personal Changes

Shortened Life Expectancy

If your doctor tells you that you have a life expectancy of less than two years, you may be able to apply to withdraw the remainder of your pension as a lump sum payment.

Depending on your province of employment, if you are a former member or pensioner and a qualified physician who practices medicine in Canada signs a statement that you have an illness or physical disability that is likely to shorten your life expectancy to less than two years, you may be entitled to request that the Commuted Value of your Pension be paid to you as a lump sum cash payment, subject to any provincial statutory requirements.

To apply for Shortened Life Expectancy, you must first complete the Shortened Life Expectancy Application. The following information must be provided:

  • Your personal information
  • A signed statement from your physician
  • Your Spouse's signed written consent

Please contact the LPF Office for more information.

Back To Top